Commentary Critical and Explanatory
on the Whole Bible
A prayer for deliverance from cunning and malicious enemies, with a
confident view of their overthrow, which will honor God and give joy to
1. preserve . . . fear--as well as the danger producing it.
2. insurrection--literally, "uproar," noisy assaults, as well as
their secret counsels.
3, 4. Similar figures for slander
(Ps 57:4; 59:7).
bend--literally, "tread," or, "prepared." The allusion is to the mode
of bending a bow by treading on it; here, and in
transferred to arrows.
4. the perfect--one innocent of the charges made
not regarding God.
5. A sentiment here more fully presented, by depicting their
6. This is further evinced by their diligent efforts and deeply
7. The contrast is heightened by representing God as using weapons
8. their . . . tongue to fall, &c.--that is, the consequences of
their slanders, &c. (compare
Ps 10:2; 31:16).
all that see . . . away--Their partners in evil shall be terrified.
9, 10. Men, generally, will acknowledge God's work, and the
righteous, rejoicing in it, shall be encouraged to trust Him