Commentary Critical and Explanatory
on the Whole Bible
In this Psalm the profession of the principles of his domestic and
political government testifies, as well as actions in accordance with
it, David's appreciation of God's mercy to him, and His judgment on his
enemies: and thus he sings or celebrates God's dealings.
2. He avows his sincere purpose, by God's aid, to act uprightly
3. set . . . eyes--as an example to be approved and followed.
no wicked thing--literally, "word," plan or purpose of Belial
work of . . . aside--apostates.
not cleave to me--I will not be implicated in it (compare
4. A froward heart--or, "perverse heart"
Such a temper I will not indulge, nor even know evil or wickedness.
5, 6. The slanderers and haughty persons, so mischievous in society,
I will disown; but--
6. Mine eyes . . . upon--or, I will select reliable and honest men for
7. not dwell--literally, "not sit," or tarry, or be established.
8. will early--or, "diligently."
city of the Lord--or, "holy place"
where wicked men shall not be tolerated.