Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 Corinthians 1:30
- Of him (ex autou).
- Out of God. He chose you.
- In Christ Jesus (en Xristwi Ihsou).
- In the sphere of Christ Jesus the choice was made. This is God's wisdom.
- Who was made unto us wisdom from God (ov egenhth sopia hmin apo teou).
- Note egenhth, became (first aorist passive and indicative), not hn, was, the Incarnation, Cross, and Resurrection. Christ is the wisdom of God ( 2:2) "both righteousness and sanctification and redemption" (dikaiosunh te kai agiasmov kai apolutrwsiv), as is made plain by the use of te--kai--kai. The three words (dikaiosunh, agiasmos, apolutrwsiv) are thus shown to be an epexegesis of sopia (Lightfoot). All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge in Christ Jesus. We are made righteous, holy, and redeemed in Christ Jesus. Redemption comes here last for emphasis though the foundation of the other two. In Romans 1:17 we see clearly Paul's idea of the God kind of righteousness (dikaiosunh) in Christ. In Romans 3:24 we have Paul's conception of redemption (apolutrwsiv, setting free as a ransomed slave) in Christ. In Romans 6:19 we have Paul's notion of holiness or sanctification (agiasmov) in Christ. These great theological terms will call for full discussion in Romans, but they must not be overlooked here. See also Acts 10:35; 24:25; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-7; 1 Corinthians 1:2.