Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 John 1:9
- If we confess (ean omologwmen).
- Third-class condition again with ean and present active subjunctive of omologew, "if we keep on confessing." Confession of sin to God and to one another (James 5:16) is urged throughout the N.T. from John the Baptist (Mark 1:5) on.
- Faithful (pistov).
- Jesus made confession of sin necessary to forgiveness. It is God's promise and he is "righteous" (dikaiov).
- To forgive (ina aphi).
- Sub-final clause with ina and second aorist active subjunctive of apihmi.
- And to cleanse (kai agiashi).
- So again with ina and the first aorist active subjunctive of katarizw (verse 7).