Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 John 2:2
- And he (kai autov).
- He himself in his own person, both priest and sacrifice (Hebrews 9:14).
- The propitiation (ilasmov).
- Late substantive from ilaskomai (Luke 18:13; Hebrews 2:17), in LXX, Philo, Plutarch, in N.T. only here and 1 John 4:10. Christ himself is the means of propitiation for (peri concerning) our sins. See ilasthrion in Romans 3:15.
- For the whole world (peri olou tou kosmou).
- It is possible to supply the ellipsis here of twn amartiwn (the sins of) as we have it in Hebrews 7:27, but a simpler way is just to regard "the whole world" as a mass of sin (5:19). At any rate, the propitiation by Christ provides for salvation for all (Hebrews 2:9) if they will only be reconciled with God (2 Corinthians 5:19-21).