Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 John 3:5
- He (ekeinov).
- As in verse 3; John 1:18.
- Was manifested (epanerwth).
- Same form as in verse 1 John 3:2, but here of the Incarnation as in John 21:1, not of the second coming (1 John 2:28).
- To take away sins (ina tav amartiav arhi).
- Purpose clause with ina and first aorist active subjunctive of airw as in John 1:29. In Isaiah 53:11 we have anaperw for bearing sins, but airw properly means to lift up and carry away (John 2:16). So in Hebrews 10:4 we find apairew and Hebrews 10:11 periairew, to take away sins completely (the complete expiation wrought by Christ on Calvary). The plural amartiav here, as in Colossians 1:14, not singular (collective sense) amartian as in John 1:29.
- And in him is no sin (kai amartia en autwi ouk estin).
- "And sin (the sinful principle) in him is not." As Jesus had claimed about himself (John 7:18; 8:46) and as is repeatedly stated in the N.T. (2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 4:15; 7:26; 9:13).