Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 John 3:6
- Sinneth not (oux amartanei).
- Linear present (linear menwn, keeps on abiding) active indicative of amartanw, "does not keep on sinning." For menw (abide) see 2:6; John 15:4-10.
- Whosoever sinneth (o amartanwn).
- Present (linear) active articular participle like menwn above, "the one who keeps on sinning" (lives a life of sin, not mere occasional acts of sin as amarthsav, aorist active participle, would mean).
- Hath not seen him (oux ewraken auton).
- Perfect active indicative of oraw. The habit of sin is proof that one has not the vision or the knowledge (egnwken, perfect active also) of Christ. He means, of course, spiritual vision and spiritual knowledge, not the literal sense of oraw in John 1:18; 20:29.