Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 John 4:8
- He that loveth not (o mh agapwn).
- Present active articular participle of agapaw "keeps on not loving."
- Knoweth not God (ouk egnw ton teon).
- Timeless aorist active indicative of ginwskw, has no acquaintance with God, never did get acquainted with him.
- God is love (o teov agaph estin).
- Anarthrous predicate, not h agaph. John does not say that love is God, but only that God is love. The two terms are not interchangeable. God is also light (1:5) and spirit (John 4:24).