Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 John 4:10
- Not that (oux oti)
- --but that (all' oti).
- Sharp contrast as in John 7:22; 2 Corinthians 7:9; Philippians 4:17.
- We loved (hgaphsamen).
- First aorist active indicative, but B reads hgaphkamen (perfect active, we have loved).
- He (autov).
- Emphatic nominative (God).
- To be the propitiation (ilasmon).
- Merely predicate accusative in apposition with uion (Son). For the word see 2:2; Romans 3:25 for ilasthrion, and for peri see also 1 John 2:2.