Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 John 5:11
- That God gave (oti edwken o teov).
- Declarative oti in apposition with marturia as in verse 14; John 3:19. Note aorist active indicative edwken (from didwmi) as in 1 John 3:23, the great historic fact of the Incarnation (John 3:16), but the perfect dedwken in 1 John 3:1 to emphasize the abiding presence of God's love.
- Eternal life (zwhn aiwnion).
- Anarthrous emphasizing quality, but with the article in 1:2.
- In his Son (en twi uiwi autou).
- This life and the witness also. This is why Jesus who is life (John 14:6) came to give us abundant life (John 10:10).