Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 Timothy 1:17
This noble doxology is a burst of gratitude for God's grace to Paul. For other doxologies see Galatians 1:5; Romans 11:36; 16:27; Philippians 4:20; Ephesians 3:21; 1 Timothy 6:16. White suggests that Paul may have often used this doxology in his prayers. Lock suggests "a Jewish liturgical formula" (a needless suggestion in view of Paul's wealth of doxologies seen above). For God's creative activity (King of the ages) see 1 Corinthians 10:11; Ephesians 2:7; 3:9,11.
- Incorruptible (aptartwi).
- As an epithet of God also in Romans 1:23.
- Invisible (aoratwi).
- Epithet of God in Colossians 1:15.
- The only God (monwi tewi).
- So Romans 16:27; John 5:44; 17:3.
- For ever and ever (eiv touv aiwnav twn aiwnwn).
- "Unto the ages of ages." Cf. Ephesians 3:21 "of the age of the ages."