Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament1 Timothy 3:1
- Faithful is the saying (pistov o logov).
- Here the phrase points to the preceding words (not like 1:15) and should close the preceding paragraph.
- If a man seeketh (ei tiv oregetai).
- Condition of first class, assumed as true. Present middle indicative of oregw, old verb to reach out after something, governing the genitive. In N.T. only here, 6:10; Hebrews 11:16.
- The office of a bishop (episkophv).
- Genitive case after oregetai. Late and rare word outside of LXX and N.T. (in a Lycaonian inscription). From episkopew and means "over-seership" as in Acts 1:20.