Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament2 Corinthians 1:15
- Confidence (pepoithsei).
- This late word (LXX Philo, Josephus) is condemned by the Atticists, but Paul uses it a half dozen times (3:4 also).
- I was minded to come (eboulomhn eltein).
- Imperfect, I was wishing to come, picturing his former state of mind.
- Before unto you (proteron prov umav).
- This was his former plan (proteron) while in Ephesus to go to Achaia directly from Ephesus. This he confesses in verse 16 "and by you to pass into Macedonia."
- That ye might have a second benefit (ina deuteran xarin sxhte).
- Or second "joy" if we accept xaran with Westcott and Hort. This would be a real second blessing (or joy) if they should have two visits from Paul.