Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament2 Peter 1:2
- Be multiplied (plhtunteih).
- First aorist passive optative of plhtunw in a wish for the future (volitive use) as in 1 Peter 1:2; Jude 1:2.
- In the knowledge (en epignwsei).
- Full (additional, epi) knowledge as in 2 Peter 1:8 (only gnwsiv in 1:5,6; 3:18), but epignwsin again in 1:3,8; 2:20. As in Colossians, so here full knowledge is urged against the claims of the Gnostic heretics to special gnwsiv.
- Of God and of Jesus our Lord (tou teou kai Ihsou tou kuriou hmwn).
- At first sight the idiom here seems to require one person as in 1:1, though there is a second article (tou) before kuriou, and Ihsou is a proper name. But the text here is very uncertain. Bengel, Spitta, Zahn, Nestle accept the short reading of P and some Vulgate MSS. and some minuscles with only tou kuriou hmwn (our Lord) from which the three other readings may have come. Elsewhere in II Peter gnwsiv and epignwsiv are used of Christ alone. The text of II Peter is not in a good state of preservation.