Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament2 Peter 3:10
- The day of the Lord (hmera kuriou).
- So Peter in Acts 2:20 (from Joel 3:4) and Paul in 1 Thessalonians 5:2,4; 2 Thessalonians 2:2; 1 Corinthians 5:5; and day of Christ in Philippians 2:16 and day of God in 2 Peter 2:12 and day of judgment already in 2:9; 3:7. This great day will certainly come (hxei). Future active of hkw, old verb, to arrive, but in God's own time.
- As a thief (wv klepthv).
- That is suddenly, without notice. This very metaphor Jesus had used (Luke 12:39; Matthew 24:43) and Paul after him (1 Thessalonians 5:2) and John will quote it also (Revelation 3:3; 16:15).
- In the which (en hi).
- The day when the Lord comes.
- Shall pass away (pareleusontai).
- Future middle of parerxomai, old verb, to pass by.
- With a great noise (roizhdon).
- Late and rare adverb (from roizew, roizov)-- Lycophron, Nicander, here only in N.T., onomatopoetic, whizzing sound of rapid motion through the air like the flight of a bird, thunder, fierce flame.
- The elements (ta stoixeia).
- Old word (from stoixov a row), in Plato in this sense, in other senses also in N.T. as the alphabet, ceremonial regulations (Hebrews 5:12; Galatians 4:3; 5:1; Colossians 2:8).
- Shall be dissolved (luthsetai).
- Future passive of luw, to loosen, singular because stoixeia is neuter plural.
- With fervent heat (kausoumena).
- Present passive participle of kausow, late verb (from kausov, usually medical term for fever) and nearly always employed for fever temperature. Mayor suggests a conflagration from internal heat. Bigg thinks it merely a vernacular (Doric) future for kausomena (from kaiw, to burn).
- Shall be burned up (katakahsetai).
- Repeated in verse 12. Second future passive of the compound verb katakaiw, to burn down (up), according to A L. But Aleph B K P read eurethsetai (future passive of euriskw, to find) "shall be found." There are various other readings here. The text seems corrupt.
The Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament. Copyright © Broadman Press 1932,33, Renewal 1960. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Broadman Press (Southern Baptist Sunday School Board)
Robertson, A.T. "Commentary on 2 Peter 3:10". "Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament". <http://classic.studylight.org/com/rwp/view.cgi?book=2pe&chapter=003&verse=010>. Broadman Press 1932,33, Renewal 1960.