Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament2 Timothy 1:7
- A spirit of fearfulness (pneuma deiliav).
- Here pneuma is the xarisma of verse 6, the human spirit as endowed by the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:15). Deilia is an old word (deilos, deidw) and always in a bad sense of cowardice, only here in N.T.
- Of power (dunamewv).
- One of Paul's characteristic words (Romans 1:16).
- Of love (agaphv).
- One of the gifts of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22). "Which drives out fear" (Lock) as in 1 John 4:18.
- Of discipline (swpronismou).
- Late Koine word (from swpronizw, to control), self-control, here only in N.T. See 1 Timothy 2:9 for swprosunh.