Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament2 Timothy 4:16
- At my first defence (en thi prwthi apologiai).
- Original sense of "apology" as in Philippians 1:7,16. Either the first stage in this trial or the previous trial and acquittal at the end of the first Roman imprisonment. Probably the first view is correct, though really there is no way to decide.
- No one took my part (oudeiv moi paregeneto).
- "No one came by my side" (second aorist middle indicative of paraginomai). See 1 Corinthians 16:3.
- But all forsook me (alla pantev me egkateleipon).
- Same verb and tense used of Demas above (verse 10), "But all were forsaking me" (one by one) or, if aorist egkatelipon, "all at once left me."
- May it not be laid to their account (mh autoiv logisteih).
- First aorist passive optative in future wish with negative mh. Common Pauline verb logizomai (1 Corinthians 13:5; Romans 4:3,5).