Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament2 Timothy 3:13
- Impostors (gohtev).
- Old word from wailers (goaw, to bewail), professional mourners, deceivers, jugglers. Here only in the N.T. Modern impostors know all the tricks of the trade.
- Shall wax worse and worse (prokopsousin epi to xeiron).
- "Shall cut forward to the worse stage." See 2:16 for prokoptw. Xeiron is comparative of kakov, "to the worse than now."
- Deceiving and being deceived (planwntev kai planwmenoi).
- Present active and present passive participles of planaw. The tragedy of it all is that these seducers are able to deceive others as well as themselves.