Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament3 John 1:3
- I rejoiced greatly (exarhn lian).
- As in 2 John 1:4; Philippians 4:10, not epistolary aorist, but reference to his emotions at the good tidings about Gaius.
- When brethren came (erxomenwn adelpwn).
- Genitive absolute with present middle participle of erxomai, and so with marturountwn (bare witness, present active participle of marturew). Present participle here denotes repetition, from time to time.
- To the truth (thi alhteiai).
- Dative case. "As always in the Johannine writings, 'truth' covers every sphere of life, moral, intellectual, spiritual" (Brooke).
- Even as thou walkest in truth (katwv su en alhteiai peripateiv).
- "Thou" in contrast to Diotrephes (verse 9) and others like him. On peripatew see 1 John 1:6 and on en alhteiai see 2 John 1:4.