Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentActs 1:9
- As they were looking (blepontwn autwn).
- Genitive absolute. The present participle accents the fact that they were looking directly at Jesus.
- He was taken up (epˆrthˆ).
- First aorist passive indicative of epairw, old and common verb meaning to lift up. In Luke 24:51 we have "he was borne up" (anepereto) and in Acts 1:2, 1:11; 1 Timothy 3:6 "was received up" (anelhmpth).
- Received (upelaben).
- Second aorist active indicative of upolambanw, literally here "took under him." He seemed to be supported by the cloud. "In glory" Paul adds in 1 Timothy 3:16.
- Out of their sight (apo twn optalmwn autwn).
- From their eyes (apo with ablative case).