Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentActs 4:1
- The captain of the temple (o strathgov tou ierou).
- Twenty-four bands of Levites guarded the temple, one guard at a time. They watched the gates. The commander of each band was called captain (strathgov). Josephus names this captain of the temple police next to the high priest (War. VI. 5, 3).
- The Sadducees (oi Saddoukaioi).
- Most of the priests were Sadducees now and all the chief priests since John Hyrcanus I deserted the Pharisees (Josephus, Ant. XVII. 10, 6; XVIII. 1, 4; XX. 9, 1). The Sadducees were slow to line up with the Pharisees against Jesus, but they now take the lead against Peter and John.
- Came upon them (epesthsan autoiv).
- Second aorist active indicative (intransitive). Burst upon them suddenly or stood by them in a hostile attitude here (Luke 20:1; 24:4; Acts 6:12; 17:5; 22:20; 23:11).