Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentActs 5:26
- Brought (hgen).
- Imperfect active of agw, was bringing (leading), slowly no doubt, and solemnly.
- But without violence (ou meta biav).
- Literally, not with violence.
- For they feared (epobounto gar).
- Imperfect middle, still feared, kept on fearing.
- Lest they be stoned (mh litastwsin).
- Negative purpose with mh (like ina mh), probably with "not with violence," though possible with "they feared." They handled the apostles gently for fear of being stoned themselves by the people. First aorist passive subjunctive of litazw (from litov, stone), old verb to pelt with stones (Acts 14:19; John 10:31-33).