Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentActs 27:20
- When neither sun nor stars shone upon us (mhte hliou mhte astrwn epipainontwn).
- Genitive absolute again.
- For many days (epi pleionav hmerav).
- For more days than a few.
- No small tempest (xeimonov ouk oligou).
- Litotes again.
- All hope that we should be saved was now taken away (loipon perihireito elpiv pasa tou swzestai hmav).
- "For the rest (or future) there began to be taken from around us (perihireito inchoative imperfect and see use of the verb in 2Co 13:16 of the veil) all hope of the being saved so far as we were concerned." Despair was beginning to settle like a fog on all their hopes. Had Paul lost hope?