Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentActs 28:20
- Did I intreat (parekalesa).
- Did I invite you.
- Because of the hope of Israel (eineken thv elpidov tou Israel).
- Genitive with preposition eineken. The hope of the Messiah is his point as in 26:6.
- I am bound with this chain (thn alusin tauthn perikeimai).
- This old verb means to lie around as in Luke 17:2; Hebrews 12:1. But it is also used as the passive of peritithmi, to place around with the accusative of peritithmi retained. It is a transitive passive. Paul does not lie around the chain, but the chain lies around him, a curious reversal of the imagery (Robertson, Grammar, p. 815).