Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentActs 21:23
- Do therefore this (touto oun poihson).
- The elders had thought out a plan of procedure by which Paul could set the whole matter straight.
- We have (eisin hmin).
- "There are to us" (dative of possession as in 18:10). Apparently members of the Jerusalem church.
- Which have a vow on them (euxhn exontev ap'-- or ep' eautwn).
- Apparently a temporary Nazarite vow like that in Numbers 6:1-21 and its completion was marked by several offerings in the temple, the shaving of the head (Numbers 6:13-15). Either Paul or Aquila had such a vow on leaving Cenchreae (Acts 18:18). "It was considered a work of piety to relieve needy Jews from the expenses connected with this vow, as Paul does here" (Page). The reading ap' eautwn would mean that they had taken the vow voluntarily or of themselves (Luke 12:57; 2 Corinthians 3:5), while ep' eautwn means that the vow lies on them still.