Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentEphesians 1:1
- Of Christ Jesus (Xristou Ihsou).
- So B D, though Aleph A L have Ihsou Xristou. Paul is named as the author and so he is. Otherwise the Epistle is pseudepigraphic.
- By the will of God (dia telhmatov teou).
- As in 1 Corinthians 1:1; 2 Corinthians 1:1; Romans 1:1.
- At Ephesus (en Epeswi).
- In Aleph and B these words are inserted by later hands, though both MSS. give the title Prov Epesiouv. Origen explains the words toiv agioiv toiv ousin as meaning "the saints that are" (genuine saints), showing that his MSS. did not have the words en Epeswi. The explanation of the insertion of these words has already been given in the remarks on "The Destination" as one copy of the general letter that was preserved in Ephesus. It is perfectly proper to call it the Epistle to the Ephesians if we understand the facts.