Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentEphesians 5:23
- For the husband is the head of the wife (oti anhr estin kepalh thv gunaikov).
- "For a husband is head of the (his) wife." No article with anhr or kepalh.
- As Christ also is the head of the church (wv kai o Xristov kepalh thv ekklhsiav).
- No article with kepalh, "as also Christ is head of the church." This is the comparison, but with a tremendous difference which Paul hastens to add either in an appositional clause or as a separate sentence.
- Himself the saviour of the body (autov swthr tou swmatov).
- He means the church as the body of which Christ is head and Saviour.