Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentEphesians 2:5
- Even when we were dead (kai ontav hmav nekrouv).
- Repeats the beginning of verse 1, but he changes umav (you Gentiles) to hmav (us Jews).
- Quickened us together with Christ (sunezwopoihsen twi Xristwi).
- First aorist active indicative of the double compound verb sunzwopoiew as in Colossians 2:13 which see. Associative instrumental case in Xristwi. Literal resurrection in the case of Jesus, spiritual in our case as pictured in baptism.
- By grace have ye been saved (xariti este seswsmenoi).
- Instrumental case of xariti and perfect passive periphrastic indicative of swzw. Parenthetical clause interjected in the sentence. All of grace because we were dead.