Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentGalatians 5:1
- With freedom (thi eleuteriai).
- Rather dative case instead of instrumental, "for freedom," "for the (article) freedom that belongs to us children of the freewoman" (4:31).
- Did Christ set us free (hmav Xristov hleuterwsen).
- Effective aorist active indicative of eleuterow (from erxomai, to go, go free).
- Stand fast therefore (sthkete oun).
- See on Mark 3:31; 1 Corinthians 16:13 for this late word from perfect stem of isthmi, "keep on standing therefore," "stay free since Christ set you free."
- Be not entangled again (mh palin enexeste).
- "Stop being held in by a yoke of bondage." Common word for ensnare by trap. The Judaizers were trying to lasso the Galatians for the old yoke of Judaism.