Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentHebrews 4:11
- Let us therefore give diligence (spoudaswmen oun).
- Volitive subjunctive aorist of spoudazw, old verb to hasten (2 Timothy 4:9), to be eager and alert (1 Thessalonians 2:17). The exhortation has a warning like that in Hebrews 4:1.
- That no man fall (ina mh peshi).
- Negative purpose with ina mh and the second aorist active subjunctive of piptw, to fall.
- After the same example of disobedience (en twi autwi upodeigmati thv apeiteiav).
- The unbelief is like that seen in the Israelites (3:12,18; 4:2). Hupodeigma is a late word from upodeiknumi (Matthew 3:7) and means a copy (John 13:15; James 5:10). The Israelites set a terrible example and it is so easy to copy the bad examples.