Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentHebrews 4:13
- That is not manifest (apanhv).
- Old adjective (a privative and painw, to show), here only in the N.T. God's microscope can lay bare the smallest microbe of doubt and sin.
- Naked (gumna).
- Both soul and body are naked to the eye of God.
- Laid open (tetraxhlismena).
- Perfect passive participle of traxhlizw, late verb to bend back the neck (traxhlov, Matthew 18:6) as the surgeon does for operating, here only in N.T. See Romans 16:4 for the peril of risking one's neck (traxhlon upotitenai). God's eyes see all the facts in our inmost hearts. There are no mental reservations from God.
- With whom we have to do (prov on hmin o logov).
- "With whom the matter or account for us is." There is a slight play here on logov of verse 12. Surely every servant of Christ today needs to gaze into this revealing mirror and be honest with himself and God.