Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentHebrews 5:1
- In things pertaining to God (ta prov ton teon).
- Accusative of general reference as in 2:17 (Romans 15:17). The two essential points about any high priest are human sympathy (5:1-3) and divine appointment (5:4). He is taken from men and appointed in behalf of men.
- That he may offer (ina prosperhi).
- Purpose clause with ina and present active subjunctive of prosperw, "that he keep on offering (from time to time)."
- Both gifts (dwra)
- and sacrifices (kai tusiav).
- General term (dwra) and bloody offerings, but the two together are inclusive of all as in 8:3; 9:9 (1 Kings 8:64).
- For sins (uper amartiwn).
- His own included (Hebrews 7:27) except in the case of Jesus.