Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentHebrews 5:8
- Though he was a Son (kaiper wn uiov).
- Concessive participle with kaiper, regular Greek idiom as in 7:5; 12:17.
- Yet learned obedience (ematen upakohn).
- Second aorist active indicative of mantanw. Succinct and crisp statement of the humanity of Jesus in full harmony with Luke 2:40,52 and with Hebrews 2:10.
- By the things which he suffered (ap' wn epaten).
- There is a play on the two verbs (ematen--epaten), paronomasia. Second aorist active indicative of pasxw. He always did his Father's will (John 8:29), but he grew in experience as in wisdom and stature and in the power of sympathy with us.