Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentHebrews 11:33
- Through faith (dia pistewv).
- Change thus from the routine pistei used so far.
- Subdued kingdoms (kathgwnisanto basileiav).
- First aorist middle indicative of katagwnizomai, Koine verb to struggle against, to overcome, here alone in the N.T. Used by Josephus of David's conquests. The author has here (verses 33,34), "nine terse clauses" (Moffatt) with no connective (asyndeton) with great rhetorical and oratorical force (sledge-hammer style). For "wrought righteousness" (hrgasanto dikaiosunhn, first aorist middle indicative of ergazomai) see Acts 10:35.
- Obtained promises (epetuxon epaggeliwn).
- Second aorist active indicative of epitugxanw, old verb (already in 6:15) with genitive. But they did not see the fulfilment of the Messianic promise (11:39).
- Stopped the mouths of lions (epraxan stomata leontwn).
- First aorist active indicative of prassw, old verb to fence in, to block up. See Daniel 6:18-23.