Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentHebrews 11:9
- Became a sojourner (parwikhsen).
- First aorist active indicative of paroikew, old verb to dwell (oikew) beside (para), common in LXX, in N.T. only here and Luke 24:18. Called paroikon (sojourner) in Acts 7:6.
- In the land of promise (eiv ghn thv epaggeliav).
- Literally, "land of the promise." The promise made by God to him (Genesis 12:7; 13:15; 17:8).
- As in a land not his own (wv allotrian).
- For allotriov (belonging to another) see 9:25; 11:34.
- The heirs with him of the same promise (twn sunklhromenwn thv epaggeliav thv authv).
- Late double compound (sun, klhros, nemomai), found in Philo, inscriptions and papyri, in N.T. only here, Romans 8:17; Ephesians 3:6; 1 Peter 3:7. "Co-heirs" with Abraham.