Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJames 2:24
- Ye see (orate).
- Present indicative active of oraw. Now he uses the plural again as in 2:14.
- Is justified (dikaioutai).
- Present passive indicative of dikaiow, here not "is made righteous," but "is shown to be righteous." James is discussing the proof of faith, not the initial act of being set right with God (Paul's idea in Romans 4:1-10).
- And not only by faith (kai ouk ek pistewv monon).
- This phrase clears up the meaning of James. Faith (live faith) is what we must all have (2:18), only it must shew itself also in deeds as Abraham's did.