Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 3:22
- After these things (meta tauta).
- Transition after the interview with Nicodemus. For the phrase see 5:1; 6:1; 7:1.
- Into the land of Judea (eiv thn Ioudaian ghn).
- Into the country districts outside of Jerusalem. The only example of this phrase in the N.T., but "the region of Judea" (h Ioudaia xwra) in Mark 1:5.
- He tarried (dietriben).
- Descriptive imperfect active of diatribw, old verb to rub between or hard, to spend time (Acts 14:3).
- Baptized (ebaptizen).
- Imperfect active of baptizw. "He was baptizing." The six disciples were with him and in 4:2 John explains that Jesus did the baptizing through the disciples.