Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 4:15
- Sir (Kurie).
- Not yet "Lord" for her. See verse 11.
- This water (touto to udwr).
- This peculiar kind of water. She did not grasp the last phrase "unto life eternal," and speaks half ironically of "this water."
- That I thirst not (ina mh dipsw).
- Final clause with ina, alluding to the words of Jesus, water that will prevent thirst.
- Neither come (mhde dierxwmai).
- Carrying on the negative purpose with present middle subjunctive, "nor keep on coming" as she has to do once or twice every day. She is evidently puzzled and yet attracted.