Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 5:17
- Answered (apekrinato).
- Regular aorist middle indicative of apokrinomai, in John here only and verse 19, elsewhere apekrith as in verse 11.
- My Father (o pater mou).
- Not "our Father," claim to peculiar relation to the Father.
- Worketh even until now (ewv arti ergazetai).
- Linear present middle indicative, "keeps on working until now" without a break on the Sabbath. Philo points out this fact of the continuous activity of God. Justin Martyr, Origen and others note this fact about God. He made the Sabbath for man's blessing, but cannot observe it himself.
- And I work (kagw ergazomai).
- Jesus puts himself on a par with God's activity and thus justifies his healing on the Sabbath.