Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 5:25
- And now is (kai nun estin).
- See 4:23 for this phrase. Not the future resurrection in verse 5:28, but the spiritual resurrection here and now.
- The dead (oi nekroi).
- The spiritually dead, dead in trespasses and sins (Ephesians 2:1,5; 5:14).
- Shall hear the voice of the Son of God (akousousin thv pwnhv tou uiou tou teou).
- Note three genitives (pwnhv after akousousin, uiou with pwnhv, teou with uiou). Note three articles (correlation of the article) and that Jesus here calls himself "the Son of God" as in 10:36; 11:4.
- Shall live (zhsousin).
- Future active indicative, shall come to life spiritually.