Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 6:26
- Not because ye saw signs (oux oti eidete shmeia).
- Second aorist active indicative of the defective verb oraw. They had seen the "signs" wrought by Jesus (verse 2), but this one had led to wild fanaticism (verse 14) and complete failure to grasp the spiritual lessons.
- But because ye ate of the loaves (all' oti epagete ek twn artwn).
- Second aorist active indicative of estiw, defective verb.
- Ye were filled (exortasthte).
- First aorist passive indicative of xortazw, from xortov (grass) as in verse 10, to eat grass, then to eat anything, to satisfy hunger. They were more concerned with hungry stomachs than with hungry souls. It was a sharp and deserved rebuke.