Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 8:4
- Hath been taken (kateilhptai).
- Perfect passive indicative of katalambanw (see verse 3), caught and still guilty.
- In adultery (moixeuomenh).
- Present passive participle of moixeuw, "herself suffering adultery" (Matthew 5:32). Used of married people. Not in John.
- In the very act (ep' autopwrwi).
- Old adjective (autopwros, autov, self, and pwr, thief) caught in the act of theft, then extended to any crime in which one is caught. Old idiom, but not elsewhere in the Greek Bible. One example in a Berlin papyrus.