Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 8:5
- Commanded (eneteilato).
- First aorist middle indicative of entellw, old verb to enjoin (Matthew 4:6).
- To stone such (tav toiautav litazein).
- Present active infinitive of litazw (from litov), from Aristotle on. Stoning was specified for the case of a betrothed woman guilty of adultery (Deuteronomy 22:23-24) and for a priest's daughter if guilty. In other cases just death was commanded (Leviticus 20:10; Deuteronomy 22:22). The Talmud prescribes strangulation. This case may have strictly come within the regulation as a betrothed virgin.
- What then sayest thou of her? (su oun ti legeis;).
- "Thou then, what dost thou say?" This was the whole point, to catch Jesus, not to punish the woman.