Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 8:11
- No man, Lord (Oudeis, Kurie).
- "No one, Sir." She makes no excuse for her sin. Does she recognize Jesus as "Lord"?
- Neither do I condemn thee (Oude egw se katakrinw).
- Jesus does not condone her sin. See 8:15 for "I do not judge (condemn) any one." But he does give the poor woman another chance.
- Henceforth sin no more (apo tou nun mhketi amartane).
- See also 5:14 where this same language is used to the impotent man. It literally means (prohibition with present active imperative): "Henceforth no longer go on sinning." One can only hope that the woman was really changed in heart and life. Jesus clearly felt that even a wicked woman can be saved.