Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 10:28
- And I give unto them eternal life (kagw didwmi autoiv zwhn aiwnion).
- This is the gift of Jesus now to his sheep as stated in 6:27,40 (cf. 1 John 2:25; 5:11).
- And they shall never perish (kai ou mh apolwntai).
- Emphatic double negative with second aorist middle (intransitive) subjunctive of apollumi, to destroy. The sheep may feel secure (3:16; 6:39; 17:12; 18:9).
- And no one shall snatch them out of my hand (kai oux arpasei tiv auta ek thv xeirov mou).
- Jesus had promised this security in Galilee (6:37,39). No wolf, no thief, no bandit, no hireling, no demon, not even the devil can pluck the sheep out of my hand. Cf. Colossians 3:3 (Your life is hid together with Christ in God).