Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 11:51
- Not of himself (ap' eautou ouk).
- Not wholly of himself, John means. There was more in what Caiaphas said than he understood. His language is repeated in 18:14.
- Prophesied (eprophteusen).
- Aorist active indicative of prophteuw. But certainly unconscious prophecy on his part and purely accidental. Caiaphas meant only what was mean and selfish.
- That Jesus should die (oti emellen Ihsouv apotnhskein).
- Imperfect active of mellw in indirect discourse instead of the usual present retained after a secondary tense (eprophteusen) as sometimes occurs (see 2:25).