Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 11:19
- Had come (elhluteisan).
- Past perfect of erxomai. These Jews were probably not hostile to Jesus. There were seven days of solemn mourning (1 Samuel 31:13). The presence of so many indicates the prominence of the family.
- To Martha and Mary (prov thn Martan kai Mariam).
- Correct text, not the Textus Receptus prov tav peri Martan kai Mariam (to the women about Martha and Mary).
- To console them (ina paramuthswntai).
- Purpose clause with ina and first aorist middle subjunctive of paramuteomai, old verb (para, beside, mutov, word), to put in a word beside, to offer consolation. Again in verse 31. See 1 Thessalonians 2:11; 5:14. See Job 2:13 for these visits of consolation, often deplorable enough, though kindly meant.