Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 19:11
- Thou wouldest have (ouk eixev).
- Imperfect active indicative without an, but apodosis of second-class condition as in 15:22,24.
- Except it were given thee (ei mh hn dedomenon).
- Periphrastic past perfect indicative of didwmi (a permanent possession).
- From above (anwten).
- From God (cf. 3:3), the same doctrine of government stated by Paul in Romans 13:1. Pilate did not get his "authority" from the Sanhedrin, but from Caesar. Jesus makes God the source of all real "authority."
- Hath greater sin (meizona amartian exei).
- The same idiom in 9:41. Caiaphas has his authority from God also and has used Pilate for his own base end.