Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 6:14
- Saw the sign which he did (idontev a epoihsen shmeia).
- "Signs" oldest MSS. have. This sign added to those already wrought (verse 2). Cf. 2:23; 3:2.
- They said (elegon).
- Inchoative imperfect, began to say.
- Of a truth (alhtwv).
- Common adverb (from alhthv) in John (7:40).
- The prophet that cometh (o prophthv o erxomenov).
- There was a popular expectation about the prophet of Deuteronomy 18:15 as being the Messiah (John 1:21; 11:27). The phrase is peculiar to John, but the idea is in Acts (3:22; 7:37). The people are on the tiptoe of expectation and believe that Jesus is the political Messiah of Pharisaic hope.