Robertson's Word Pictures of the New TestamentJohn 7:23
- That the law of Moses may not be broken (ina mh luthi o nomov Mwusewv).
- Purpose clause with negative mh and first aorist passive subjunctive of luw. They are punctilious about their Sabbath rules and about circumcision on the eighth day. When they clash, they drop the Sabbath rule and circumcise.
- Are ye wroth with me? (emoi xolate;).
- Old word from xolh (bile, gall), possibly from xloh or xlwrov (yellowish green). Only here in N.T. So to be mad. With dative. Vivid picture of bitter spleen against Jesus for healing a man on the sabbath when they circumcise on the Sabbath.
- A man every whit whole (olon antrwpon ugih).
- Literally, "a whole (olon) man (all the man) sound (ugih, well)," not just one member of the body mended.